Go to main content
NemID Logo

Print page

Valid ID

To obtain NemID at a citizens service center you must bring a valid ID. Additional you must answer security questions or bring an attesting witness, in order to have material issued to you immediately.

Get NemID in a citizen service centre

If you can't order NemID online or need NemID immediately, you can go to a citizen service centre.

To collect NemID at a a citizen service centre you need to bring valid ID. 

Your CPR number must be evident from your identity papers and you must answer 2-4 check questions correctly proving your identity. Otherwise you can bring an attesting witness, who can give evidence to your identity.

The last option is - among other special cases - not possible for citizens, who have requested non-disclosure of name and address or citizens living abroad.

You have several options regarding ID:

Security questions

The security questions are based on information in the central national register (CPR).

If the central national register only have limited information about you and security questions are not available e.g. if you come from a foreign country and only have been in Denmark for a short while. In such cases you will need to bring an attesting witness.

Attesting witness

An attesting witness must be at least 18 years old, have a CPR number and must present valid photo identification, and sign a solemn declaration under penalty of law.

Photo identification

The forms of valid (not expired) photo identification are listed below.

  • National driver’s license issued in an EU/EEA Member State, Greenland or the Faroe Islands*
  • Passport issued by a public authority in your home country
  • Military ID card (from Denmark)
  • NATO passport
  • Police ID card (from Denmark)
  • Residence permit with photo issued in Denmark
  • Danish banks’ ID card
  • National ID card with photo issued by a public authority in your home country and which can be used as a travel document in Schengen states.

*) Including a moped driving license issued in Denmark if this is identical to the pink driving license for a car or motorcycle. The old moped driver's license (yellow) where it is printed that this cannot be used as identification, cannot be used.


**) When presenting a residence permit / residence card, you must also bring a piece of identification without a photo. The approved identification types, without image, appear from the list below.

If you do not have any photo identification

If you don't have any photo identification, you must bring two other types of ID, one of which must include your CPR number. Birth or name certificate

  • Health insurance card or certificate of residential address. Temporary health insurance card  cannot be used.
  • Latest annual statement or preliminary income statement from SKAT (Danish Tax and Customs Administration)
  • Documentation of receipt of public benefits (dating back no further than three months).

Please note that at least one of the ID cards must be your health insurance card, certificate of residential address, or birth or name certificate.

Please note also that if your NemID is obtained via your bank and you later on wish to use your NemID as a public digital signature via citizen services, you also must be identified according to the guidelines above.

Find a citizen service centre

Find a  citizen service centre near you here (in Danish)